Monday, June 4, 2018

Mark - retirement



Mark has given me a new outlook on things . . . . I missed the first half of his life, but this second half (retirement) is already spectacular!   Mark has qualities that I admire – like saying what he means and having a thoughtful opinion on everything from FOOD to MUSIC to SPORTS to POLITICS to INVESTMENTS to GRANDFATHERING and SPIRITUAL ISSUES  (oh, did I mention food and music?).  He doesn’t mince words, and he’s not offended if I don’t mince mine!  He has a quick mind, and it forces you to focus, just to keep up - - - - -In this day-and-age, that is unusual.   He’s a breath of fresh air, the kind of buddy I need.
     

Because of Mark, I now think more about what I eat (focusing on quality more than volume), I ride a bike every day to get in better shape, and I reflect more on the music I love (and who is singing it – because there will be a test).

 

One of my favorite (very recent) ‘memories’ of Mark, is this:   He’s in the kitchen preparing one of his famous meals, the aroma coming from the stove top is intoxicating, overwhelming the senses, the Pandora music is up loud (the way I like it) – filling the house with memories, the patio doors are wide open, a warm breeze weaving through the cold air conditioned rooms, there are waves crashing on the white sandy beach below, and the sun is setting on the horizon, lighting up the sky with a dark orange and blue hue.   I shout out  – “Mark, what can I do to help”?   “Nothing”, he shouts back (to be heard over the music).  Moving quickly back and forth from the refrigerator, to stove, to a cutting board – tossing plates and knives like a Ninja – he shouts to me:  “Scot – who’s this?!” - -  The music and words are undiscernible to me.  I shout back – “I have no idea!” – and with a scowl of friendly disappointment, he shouts back - “It’s Bruno Mars!”.    I pulled out my camera and started a video of Mark simultaneously cooking, dancing and singing the words “Uptown Funk You Up . . . If you sexy then flaunt it, if you freaky then own it . . . “. 

     

Ya, I have that video.   Great memories – thanks Mark!


No comments:

Post a Comment