Sunday, February 22, 2009

An Apology - Please?

I had an original thought this morning - and those are rare - so here it is.

The current economic environment is being compared to "The Great Depression". At least, they, the media, says it's the second worst economic time since "The Great Depression".

Well then, I demand an apology. From who or whom? From my grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles and such. All those people that told us all those terrible stories about 1929 and the 30's. I mean, let's face it, if this is like it was then, well, come on. It aint that bad. Don't get me wrong, I am close to losing my job. We were given a 5% pay cut last week - ya - cut. So I'm scared - I'm not kidding - my job is next. But yesterday morning I did something I've never done. I had a real tough digging job to do for my new fence, and not being as tough as I use to be, I went to hire 3 guys off the corner Exxon lot to help me out for the day. As I pulled up, at least 30 guys ran to my car shouting 'me, me, me!' To cull the crowd, I rolled down my window and shouted "I need 3 guys for fence posts, $8 per hour!" 3/4 of the guys walked away. Yes, walked away - $8 was not worth their time. So I picked the 3 best guys who wanted to actually work - and I paid them $12/hr for it. Point: Recession? Depression? 1929? Hopeless?

I demand an appology people.

If now is like then, I want answers. What's the deal? Ya, people are hurting everywhere, houses are up for sale. I'm not be-littling that, I may be joining you soon. But come on?! If we're experiencing 1929 all over again - 1929 wasn't that bad - was it?

Or are we being played?

No comments:

Post a Comment