Thursday, March 8, 2018

That Rainy Day



There's something to be said for consistency and patience.

It was about 1990 I think - about 28 years ago.  I would go out, come back home, and toss my extra change into a jar under the sink.  Then, the next day, I would do the same . . . . on and on, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.  As a jar was filled, I'd get a big coffee can and pour that jar into the can, then get another coffee can, and another, and another . . . .

I never spent the coins - I never took them out of the jar - never.   (in the early years, some unknown family members would take coins out of my cans when I wasn't looking, to buy gas, pay tolls, buy a coke - who knows - -  (you know who you are!) - it's ok, I really didn't mind).
       
I told myself that this change was for a 'rainy day'.  blah, blah, blah . . . .
   
Years have gone by (28 years).  And in the back of my closet I've had this stack of cans.  Now, i need that space for my other stuff (and if you know me, you know I have a lot of other 'stuff').

So this week I started rolling coins.  It was hard - especially the dimes, they are a pain, so small.  I had to go to Wal-Mart three times to get more sleeves for the coins - it never ended - quarters, nickles, dimes, pennies.  My fingers are actually stained with I don't know what - some sort of oily, dirty, coin dirt.  Gross.
 
Quarters = $1,720.00
Nickles = $152.00
Dimes = $570.00
TOTAL = $2,442.00   
 
Consistency and patience.  and a little crazy . . . . will buy a lot of car washes.  Do you have a rainy-day fund?  It doesn't have to be money.  The best rainy-day fund is simply having the Hope you find in Christ, that daily belief that He is in control of your future (regardless of the number of quarters you have in the can . . .. ).
  
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty"  Ps 91:1 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment